New York State Department of Transportation Standard Specifications state that all flaggers shall be properly training in flagging operations by recognized training programs, including the American Safety Services Association, the National Safety Council, Unions, or construction industry associations, or by an individual who holds a current certification as a flagger training instructor from such a program. Prior to starting flagger operations, the contractor shall provide the engineer with a list of certified flaggers to be used in the operation, identifying the source of flagger training for everyone. When requested by the engineer, flaggers shall demonstrate their competency in flagging procedures. Flaggers not competent in flagging procedures shall be removed or complete flagger training NYC DOT approved immediately.
Course Materials: This course consists of several different components including a PowerPoint presentation, lecture, case studies, class discussions and hands on demonstrations. We will provide a student manual which will include all relevant written standards
- Construction Site Safety
- Roadway safety
- Understanding of flagging procedures and proper use of required equipment.
Prerequisite: Student must be able to clearly communicate with the instructor in the language the course
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the need for flagging operations
- Describe abilities of a flagger as per NYS and MUTCD standards
- Apply standard references as they pertain to flagger operations
- Demonstrate typical flagging practices for day and night operations
- Practice and demonstrate all flagging signals and procedures